DETROIT – A 26-year-old Michigan man died Saturday after a small cannon exploded during a baby shower.
A small, celebratory cannon misfired, sending shrapnel flying “in all different directions,” Michigan State Police Lt. Liz Rich told TV station WJRT.
The man was struck with metal shrapnel and was taken to Hurley Medical Center in Flint, where he later died.
The metal shrapnel flew as far as 25 feet, hitting three parked cars and the garage at the home in Gaines Township.
The man, identified by police as Evan Thomas Silva of Hartland, did not set off the cannon. The fuse was lit by an owner of the home, according to MLive.
The incident was under investigation by state police.Michigan State Police, MSP Bomb Squad, Medstar Ambulance and the Gaines Township Fire Department responded to the scene.
In recent years, some gender-reveal events — where devices eject confetti, balloons or other colored objects to announce a soon-to-be-born child’s sex — have taken a dangerous turn.
In September, a couple’s plan to reveal their baby’s gender with blue or pink smoke sparked a wildfire that burned thousands of acres in Southern California. And in 2019, a homemade explosive used to reveal a baby’s gender killed 56-year-old Pamela Kreimeyer in Knoxville, Iowa. The device was meant to spray powder but instead blew up like a pipe bomb.
“People are being very creative in the gender reveals, but remember safety is always and should be number one,” Rich told WJRT.
Contributing: Nour Rahal, Detroit Free Press; Jay Cannon, USA TODAY; Associated Press
Follow Nour Rahal on Twitter: @nrahal1